- Is laser welding stronger than soldering with a torch?
Laser welding is 400% stronger than soldering – and 100% biocompatible. Solder contains nickel and copper and can cause a negative allergic or irritating reaction in some people. Laser welding technology uses only pure gold, pure silver and/or pure titanium as filler metals.
- How do you know if an unstamped frame is titanium?
Metal eyeglass frames containing titanium will spark when ground with a special disc. In order to repair such frames, they must be laser welded in an oxygen-free atmosphere.
- Someone tried to fix my frames with a torch and burnt them. Can they still be repaired?
Flame repair attempts on titanium will cause the metal to become brittle and usually not repairable. Your first choice should be laser welding.
- Can you repair Flexon?
We can weld flexon, but it usually fractures in another spot along the bridge. We prefer a more permanent solution of replacing the bridge with stainless steel.
- Part of my frame is gold. Can they be repaired?
Yes. The laser technique can join one type of metal to another such as gold to titanium or gold to stainless steel.
- I lost a piece of metal when the frames broke. Can they be repaired?
Laser welding can “rebuild” areas of the frame, such as hinge rings, with the same alloy as the frame.
- Is laser welding guaranteed?
Laserfix repairs include a no-hassle 6 month warranty. Our re-repair rate is less than 5%. If we cannot repair your frames properly a second time, we will refund your money.
- Will the repair be unsightly?
Laser welding will not damage the surrounding area and is usually unnoticeable. Occasionally, we will repaint the repaired area to ensure the best possible results. A laser weld can be a small as 2/10 mm. or as large as 2 mm. (A fingernail is 5/10 mm. thick!).